Magnetic mounts for antennas have a strong magnet that holds your antenna on a surface, mostly used on cars, trucks, and SUVs. With magnetic mounts, drilling into your surface is not necessary making this a less permanent solution. Installing these magnetic mounts is an easy process but you should learn some tips before you start to help installation go as effortless as possible.
By following these nmo mount installation instructions and tips help so you don’t scratch or chip the paint on your car and allow for the best installation.
We’ll start by explaining some tips before you start, and the steps needed when installing your magnetic mount.
Before You Start: Tips for Magnetic Mount Pre-Installation
Before you begin installing your magnetic mount to your vehicle, here are some tips you need to know to prevent damage and correctly install your antenna mount.
- The best place to install your magnetic mount antenna is the center of your roof. This is for the best coverage and signal. Mounting on your trunk is okay but install the mount vertically. Know that this may affect the performance.
- Once your mount is in place, DO NOT SLIDE the mount. This can scratch the surface.
- Mounts can not be used on vinyl roofs. This is to avoid redaction in holding power. This can also cause some loss in electrical capacitance which can interfere with the operation of the antenna at some frequencies.
- Pulse Larsen mounts should only be used with an antenna supplied by Pulse Larsen.
- Don’t mount your antenna too close to another antenna (preferably 12 inches apart) or window or sunroof (preferably 6 inches away), this may cause interference and feedback.
How to Install a Magnetic NMO Mount
Now that you know some tips for pre-installation, you’re ready to start taking the steps to install a magnetic nmo mount. Installation is easy and you’ll be ready to start using your mount and antenna in just a few minutes.
- Clean and remove dust and grit material from the surface and bottom of the mount. This should be repeated every time you install a mount.
- Place the mount on the clean surface and gently lower it. Use the antenna as a handle, pivot the mount down until it snaps into place.
- Your magnetic mount is now installed correctly and ready to be used.
To remove the magnetic mount, reverse the steps above.
Notes for Installation
For low-frequency configurations, antennas with a tab or pogo pair interface, leave the center pin and insulator in the magnetic mount.
For high-frequency configurations, if the antenna is a coaxial interface (antenna with an HF in the Larsen Antenna part number), remove the center contact pin and insulator. See the image below.
Now that you’ve followed the tips and steps for installing a nmo mount, you’re ready to use your antenna. Using magnetic mounts let you remove the mount later instead of other mounts that drill holes into your vehicle. Follow these steps and tips every time you install a magnetic mount to ensure you get the best signal and reduce damage to your vehicle.
First Source Wireless is a dealer of Pulse Larsen antennas offering public safety with nmo mounts and antennas. Interested in purchasing any Pulse Larsen products, shop now or contact us at 800-991-4569 for further questions.
About the Author
Taylor Thomas is the Marketing Manager at First Source Wireless. With her experience, she has helped public safety find the right antenna and NMO mount solutions. Taylor has attended numerous communications conferences including the International Wireless Conference, APCO Conference, and International Police Chiefs Conference.