According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), more than 2.7 million veterans currently receive disability benefits for hearing loss or tinnitus, a ringing in the ears.
The Department of Veterans Affairs reports the entitlements to reach in excess of $1.2 billion for compensation for the care of hearing loss and auditory system injuries in over 1.8 million Veterans in 2012 alone. The U.S. Military tries preventing hearing loss by providing warfighters with hearing protection.
Popular brands in hearing protection are the Peltor Comtac III headsets and the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X headsets. Both the Peltor Comtac III and Sordin headsets were developed to correspond to international military specifications and are designed specifically to prevent hearing damage.
Both of these noise-canceling communication headsets are able to provide clear communication with ambient listening and feature instant impact noise protection.
When choosing between the MSA Sordin VS Peltor Comtac iii, users will want to consider several factors. These factors include,
- Hearing protection (noise reduction rating)
- Amplification of soft sounds
- Ease of use
Noise protection is one of the most important features to consider when choosing hearing protection.
Peltor Comtac III offers NRR 20dB. 3M Peltor Comtac III headsets are tested at a 3M NAVLAP accredited facility. The Sordin has only 18dB NRR in comparison. With both headsets, loud volumes that can potentially cause hearing loss are suppressed, and low volume sounds are amplified providing seamless two-way communications.
With this amplification feature, the user can easily hear people talking at any volume level. When comparing the MSA Sordin vs Peltor III, both headsets have good hearing protection although the Peltor Comtac III seems to have a higher NRR rating.
Both the Peltor Comtac III and the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X are available in various models. Model features include either single comm or dual comm headsets. Also, both noise protection communication headsets are available in various colors which include coyote brown, olive drab green, black, or foliage green.
Below we have included a list of the features of each respective noise-canceling communication headset.
What is the difference between the 3m Peltor Comtac III vs MSA Sordin?
Features of Peltor Comtac III
- Specially designed to fit with military issued helmets
- It offers the same features and functionality of Comtac II.
- The new profile gives added comfort during extended wear.
- 500 Hours Battery Life.
- Improved Audio Fidelity and Clarity.
- Headband model - FB
- Level-dependent surround sound providing talk thru functionality
Features of MSA Sordin Pro X
- It provides optimum protection with high amplification, AUX input, and watertight battery compartment.
- Both earmuffs are shaped to suit both right-handed and left-handed shooters (for comfortable rifle mounting).
- Two separate, well-shielded microphones for optimum stereo effect and location of sound direction. (waterproof mics in Pro-X model)
- High amplification and natural sound reproduction without chopping.
- Around 600 hours of battery life with two standard AAA batteries.
- Power-saving auto shut-off feature after 4 hours of no button input.
Image of Peltor Comtac III
Image of Msa Sordin Supreme Pro X
In comparing prices between the two respective headsets Peltor Comtac III price ranges online between $549-$700. The MSA Sordin price ranges between $750-$1250 depending on the specific headset model.
To prevent hearing loss both headsets provide exceptional hearing protection in high noise environments that require seamless two-way radio communications. To view the large variety of our Peltor Comtac III headsets we have available click here.
Please feel free to contact our knowledgeable staff at 800-991-4569 to discuss the various hearing protection solutions that are available.
We want to hear your comments on the headsets. Let us know what you think in the comments below.